If you know anything about me, you know I am passionate about Kansas City - houses built here, sports played here, foods cooked here, things made here, growing up here, and growing old here. There is no other place I would rather be.
So it melted my midwestern heart to get an email from two people in California who are thinking about moving to my favorite place. I have only met these people thru email, so when I was setting them up on their home search, I began to wonder why are you choosing to move to Kansas City? I mean, I know the obvious reasons why anyone would live here, but what makes two people wake up one day and decide that Kansas City might be where they want to live? Here is their list of their reasons why they are contemplating buying their first home in Kansas City:
"Reasons we like KC:
1. Our dollar is worth much more there (in real estate, but also with taxes and cost of living)
2. The people are so nice!
3. The sports (BIG Chiefs fans)- that's why we visited KC in the first place- for Arrowhead. But we enjoyed the culture there in general.
4. Loved the small city/downtown feel (without the crazy hustle of a huge city)
5. Way less population
6. We don't use CA weather like we should, so the winters and humid summers in KC don't scare us (I am, however, a bit nervous about tornadoes- although our friends there say they have never seen one)
7. I'm a foodie and have heard great things about KC eats
9. It'll be a new experience for us- we've been married just over a year but friends since 5th grade...we're over California. We've seen it all and don't think it's worth the money for us
10. Retirement for teachers sounds pretty good in Missouri
11. We're more about quality of life versus having a ton of money so the lower income doesn't bother us (yet)